3/9/12

Drone NYC Features: Wes Brown







Tell the readers who you are and how you got into designing:

My name is Wes Brown. I am currently a Law Student at Bond University in the Gold Coast of Australia. I first got into designing about 5 years ago. I’ve been a very creative person my whole life, beginning with obsessions of art and wanting to create since grade school. I always used to draw but never with any intention or vision, simply put pen to paper. When my interest in clothing grew (beginning with my “BAPE era” and continuing to high-end fashion), I started to create designs. Over the last 5 years I have drawn 100s of designs, most of which nobody will ever see. It was not until recently that I discovered exactly what direction I wanted my clothing brand to go in. After this realization, I began to create designs, which would perfectly represent my vision. These are the Wes Brown designs you see.

What is the inspiration this collection?

The largest contributor, in terms of inspiration for this collection, is the colour Black and everything it represent. This collection, and my entire brand, is inspired by dark illuminati themes and designs. As future collections release, themes will be introduced, which each piece of that collection will represent, while always maintaining the overall darkness of both the designs and the pieces themselves.

How does this play out in terms of colors,materials,and graphics?

The dark tones to my designs compliment the graphics very well. As you can see in the S1 release designs, I pair gothic graphics with stripes and shapes, which give the products both a freelance and clean edge. That contrast is what makes my products very appealing to the eye.

Will there be a Women's line anytime soon

Depending on the response I get, I might begin to produce women’s sizes in certain designs. So far I have gotten a great response from women, and this is why I have chosen to produce my designs in size XS. If the demand from women grows, then yes, I will produce a women’s line in the near future.

Describe your personal style: My personal style is very simple. I like what I would define as classic looks/pieces. I never overdo it in terms of prints or colors. I usually wear Jordans (3, 4, 5) with my favourite black washed Balmain jeans, a Givenchy tee and a snapback. To be honest, I don’t really stray far from that.

What inspires you?

Really, there isn’t one thing specifically that inspires me. On a day-to-day basis I am inspired by whatever catches my attention. Everything from images I see online and on Tumblr to the latest fashion shows.

What menswear trends are you loving right now?

My favourite trends right now would have to be animal prints/graphics and brogue shoes. Givenchy is my favourite brand and their Rottweiler graphics have epitomized the essence of my brand: clean designs using stars and various shapes to maximize the appeal of the products. Prada’s last few collection of brogue shoes have been unbelievably cool and original. A great variation from the norm of basic black or brown dress shoes. Prada has now taken those same thick soles used on the brogues and carried them over to their entire footwear lineup. Definitely need some of those ASAP!

Define:

Fashion
- Fashion is the art of clothing. It is where the vision of the creative world comes to life.

Style-
Style is the way in which one chooses to represent themselves. Style is what separates individuals in the fashion world. Everyone’s style represents their personality, likes, and individual taste.

Who is your ideal customer?

I do not have an ideal customer. Honestly, my products are for anyone who understands my vision and likes the appeal of my designs and themes presented in them. That could be a 50 year old female or a 15 year old male. Style is so individual, it is hard to confine my ideal customer into one specific category because you never know what types of people your products will connect with.

In your opinion what completes any outfit?

I would have to say the perfect accessory/ies. This depends on your personal style. For me, it is always my favourite gold cartier love cuff and my Arizona script snapback (or whatever team/city you like). I love wearing all black and topping it off with a bright all white pair of kicks…it looks great.

Where do you see your line 5 years?

In 5 years I see a full cut and sew line added to my initial run of t-shirts. My vision from the beginning was to produce a full designer line that could show at NY fashion week but because of the high costs, my vision for the runway will have to wait. Hopefully I can gain enough success and experience to be able to create my own fashion show in 5 years. That is the dream!!

Favorite designers:

Balmain, Givenchy, Alexander Wang, Thom Browne. Decarning was a genius at Balmain, but that grungy look that made their products perfection in my eyes is slowly deteriorating. Givenchy has taken their place as my favourite brand. Their graphic tees and sweatshirts are incredible. Riccardo is a true genius. My favourite designs of theirs involve symmetry (usually with stars too!). Alexander Wang’s latest collections represent the same dark aesthetic as my brand, without the graphics. That black jean jacket with the black leather sleeves…#epic! Thom Browne has been creating great products for the last few years with his signature stripes, which I am obsessed with.

Name someone you would love to work with one day:

Kanye West. Kanye has inspired me to stay true to myself and follow my dreams. His incredible music and untainted vision to produce whatever creative medium he desires to follow through on have had an everlasting effect on me. Nothing gets me going like listening to “Can’t Tell Me Nothing.” The fact that he had the audacity as a RAPPER to become a fashion designer, a women’s fashion designer at that, is out of this world incredible. He has broken any boundaries in his way and has opened the minds of a young generation to follow their dreams no matter what everyone tells you.

Any upcoming projects for 2012?

Currently working on S2 (Season 2) designs, they are almost finalized. I have also begun working on ideas for S3. Otherwise not much else at the moment. Wouldn’t call this a project but going to hit up 3x1 in Soho NYC in May to get some bespoke jeans…cant WAIT for that!

In your opinion what is menswear lacking nowadays?

A fresh new high-end designer. It kills me to see the same 5-10 designers running the high-end world of mens fashion. One guy gets fired at their position and hired somewhere else. Where is the next Alexander Wang! (Maybe right here)

Who's on high rotation on your iPod right now?

Let’s see…we got Kanye, Kanye, Kanye, o some guy named Kanye West, and some more Kanye. Sprinkle in a lil Jay-Z here and there. I kid though. Kanye has been the main creative inspiration in my life, but recently I’ve been downloading all my favourite music throughout my lifetime-from weird Backstreet Boys moments as a kid to Red Hot Chili Peppers to Coldplay. O and also the latest Justice…and the Drive soundtrack is SICK!

The interview wouldn't be complete without some fashion tips/advice:

I am going to quote one of my favourite lines from a song by Rocko called “Umma Do Me.” He says “you just do you, umma do me.” The world is full of followers, so I urge everyone, don’t worry about what anybody tells you. Everyone in fashion today has been laughed at for their fashion choices at some point or another, but everyone must maintain individuality and personal style. Don’t be a lemming, stand out in the crowd!




We would like to thank Wes Brown for taking the time out to interview with Drone NYC!

If you would like more information on Wes Brown's S1 collection and or would like to purchase a shirt please visit http://www.thewesbrowncreative.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment