3/23/12

Drone NYC Features: Monsieur Jerome

(Pictured Above: Second photo,Olu Alege;Fourth photo,Nicola Formichetti) ;Images via Monsieur Jerome) 

Where are you from and how did you get into photography?
   I’m french, moved to NYC 3 years ago.
   While studying film making, I was introduced to photography by one of my teachers, I was 15 years old. It’s been a love affair ever since.
 What items do you carry with you on a day to day basis?
    Just my business cards. I hate carrying a bag.
 What camera do you use?
   I have a D700 Nikon. Just missing the video. I’d love to start filming people.
 Who is your ideal muse, or your ideal subject to shoot?
       It’s more finding people who are not too self-conscious and are also fun to watch and photograph. It can be in so many ways from mixing vintage with designers pieces, or even people with their own creations. I want personality.
-          We are in a post-recession era, people are smarter and creative than before. So being just good looking is not revelant anymore. At least, not for Monsieur Jerome.
 What's a typical work day like for you?
 My day starts at 9AM by uploading a new look on my facebook page. Then checking my stats and see what my followers are looking for and what I can bring to them. Street style is huge right now. Everybody is doing it. We were at some point 35 photographers waiting outside in the cold weather during NYFW few weeks ago. It’s cool. But I still think as a blogger, you need to bring more than beautiful pictures.
How do you choose the men or women you're going to shoot?
-      I only shoot men. Menswear has changed a lot, with more brands, styles and new attitudes. I want someone who can challenge the definition of what is fashion now.
 What do you think is the most difficult part of taking photos of people on the streets?
    Survive in NYC! Weather is insane here. Seriously though, it’s an easy job. NYC streets are beautiful, offering an amazing set. New Yorkers are so easy to shoot compared to Parisians.
How often do you travel and does it effect you at all?
  Street shooting is a challenge in other cities. Not that people are not dressing up but it's just not the same vibe. LA is challenging since there is never anybody in the streets. SF is laidback, too actually.
 What is the best neighborhood to shoot?
   Everywhere. I was in the UES this morning, Nolita yesterday.
 Do you have any advice for someone thinking of getting into photography?
    Follow your instinct
Other than your collaboration with Fucking Young!,Do you have any other projects in the works for 2012?
     Last december I started a collaboration with Manhattan Born, a NYC graphic design studio (Manhattanborn.com). Paul, the talent in charge, is designing over my images, creating a new interpretation. He’s totally free to do whatever he wants.
My friend Albano just started his own column this week. He’ll present his favorites products, books, places. Besides being a dear friend, he has an amazing point of view on fashion and trends.
Tell us your soundtrack for:
   Getting ready to go out: First, Sally Shapiro: Jackie Jackie (Marsheaux Remix), then Daft Punk: Technologic
   The last song of the night: Chopin: Nocturne #11 In G Minor, Op. 37/1, CT 118
   Walking the NY blocks: Daft Punk: Tron soundtrack



We would like to thank Jerome for taking the time out to interview with Drone NYC!

For more street style snaps by Jerome please check out: http://monsieurjerome.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment