9/15/11

Drone NYC Features: Julien Boudet


Name/Pseudo: Julien Boudet

Age: 26

Occupation: Photographer

Motto: You can if you think you can.

Most known characteristic: Outgoing


What got you into photography?


 My father was passionate with photography. I started playing with some cameras as a teenager, but nothing serious at all. I actually really got to develop my passion for it when I started traveling in big cities, capturing the landscapes and art in order to get a souvenir from these few trips. I realized it was something I loved to do, and from this point I really begun to take it more seriously, I’d even say it became more than a passion.
When did you develop your love for fashion? 
I’ve always been interested in fashion. I started to care more about how I dress when I got into high school, I wanted to be trendy. At this time I wouldn’t wear anything fancy though, but I’d manage to match the colors, or wear a nice t-shirt for example. Even if you can’t afford designers clothes and stuff like that, you can always be fashionable. Being fashionable is more about personal taste and style than money. Like everybody says, you can’t buy style! (just a stylist lol).
What does the word “Style” mean to you? 
To me, “style” represents your personality, your creativity. It’s just a way of expressing yourself. As Coco Chanel said, "la mode se démode, le style jamais" ("fashion becomes out of date, style never").
Is there anything you do that you’re unknown for? 
I’m a Bboy (breakdancer), even though I haven’t been practicing for months now!
What brought you to New York out of the other 50 states in the US?
That’s very simple. For someone who’s into fashion, photography (art in general), and who loves the lifestyle of big cities, New York is definitely the place to be. I’ve been traveling to the main cities all over the US (Chicago, Miami, LA, San Francisco…), and I can tell you that NYC is and remains the best city in this country.
What camera are you currently using? 
Canon 7D
Do you love being in front of the camera as well as behind it ? 
Yes I do. It’s always a pleasure to be a model, and I also truly love taking pictures. However these are 2 different sensations.
Name a few of your favorite designers? 
Comme des garçons, Opening Ceremony, Alexander McQueen, Maison Martin Margiela, OAK.
Did you ever consider fashion styling? No. Simply because I don’t think I’d like it.
One item you must have to complete any outfit: 
A handbag
Is there someone in particular you would like do a shoot with one day?
 Rumy Neely (fashiontoast.com)

What inspired the “New York State of Mind” documentary? 
Since I’ve been living here, I’ve always wanted to do a video about this amazing city. I was very inspired by the energy of the city. I wanted to let people know how fantastic is NYC. At first I’ve tried to find a great video on the Internet, but I couldn’t find anything that really represented the atmosphere and the inspiration that you can get in Brooklyn and Manhattan in particular. Hence I decided to make this video, so people would eventually feel what I feel everyday when I wake up and come out in the street.
How would you describe your personal style? , Is it influenced by the fashion in France at all?
 If I had to describe my style, I’d say it’s a mix between urban style and dandyism. An urban dandy! Yes, my style is obviously influenced by France, since I grew up there and I’ve been analyzing other people's style. Therefore I have a different approach of fashion than someone from NYC who's never been to France or Europe, for instance.
The lighting in your photographs are phenomenal, do have a special lighting technique? 
Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately I can’t tell you, it’s my French secret!
What things/people inspire you? 
Walking around in NY, LA or Paris is for me a source of inspiration. Being surrounded by stylish people is also important to me. All my friends in New York and even some fashionable guys I see in SOHO are my inspiration. I do read some fashion magazines and blogs (my favorite one is dapperlou.com). Celebrities aren't really my inspiration but a few authentic people like Basquiat for example are really inspirational. Also, I can’t wait to go to Tokyo, I’m sure this city will be definitely THE source of inspiration for an European guy like me who’s into fashion and art.
What advice would you give an upcoming photographer? 
Whenever you go out, take your camera with you. Practice as much as you can, be confident, and don’t be shy!
Do you have any upcoming projects? 
I just got back from LA, I shot a documentary about fashion and style over there. It will be released on September 30th, at a fashion soirée in Los Angeles. I’m working on different projects as well, obviously in connection with the upcoming New York Fashion Week.
Canon or Nikon? 
Canon.
Do you have a favorite photographer? 
Not really.
What do you look for when choosing a subject? 
I want to shoot different things, different people. I don’t want to be a regular photographer who takes “regular” photos, because I’m a little excentric myself.
Tell us your soundtrack for:

Getting ready to go out: I follow rivers (the magician remix) / Lykke Li
Walking NY blocks: NY state of mind / Nas
Last song of the night: Supplique pour être enterré à la plage de Sète/ Georges Brassens



We would like to thank Julien Boudet for taking the time out to do Drone NYC's first feature.
For more of Julien's work please visit http://julienboudet.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment